Sunday, July 18, 2004

I'm gettin' all posty on yer ass, ain't I?

*giggle*

Well, this is me, avoiding doing work on the weekend. And, then, also rebelling on the very thought of doing work for the MAN on the weekend. So. I'll get up way too freakin' early to do some of the stuff that I'd promised myself I'd do these past two days. And you know what? That makes me ever so much more happy.

And in this moment, I am content. On my second glass of wine, hubband cruisin' REI web site across the room from me, waiting for the Trader Joe's veggie pizza to be done.

We did dim sum today with his boss and wif, another colleague and his son, down in Monterey Park. Other than having to close my eyes during the drive (holey, moley, the boss is an insane driver) we had a most excellent time. I love dim sum for it's frenzied pace and Hitchhiker's Guide-like presentation. "Would you like my flank? It's tender, not like other flanks!" Or something to that effect.

The boss is Chinese, also, so he looks out for me and my no-pork, no-beef rule.

The other parts of dim sum that just put a smile on my face: Being such the minority in a teeming mass of people, watching the parade of families and groups all speaking at top tones, the tradition of heaps and heaps of tea consumed, the bloody overwhelming gaudiness of every dim sum place I've ever visited (prerequisite mirrors, crystal chandeliers, tacky heavy curtains and patterned carpets) and just the *pace*. Wow. Awesome. Oh, and well, the food. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Makes me want to travel far, far away from here.

Then, we ventured to 99 Ranch Market (this is always the tradition on these trips--if you're driving all the way to LA from Ventura, you're going to pick up some good Asian stuff you can't get here). Again, being in 99 Ranch is like traveling *elsewhere*. I feel giddy in this market, full of possibilities of meals to prep and share, flavors never before experienced and tins of things to *have*, just in case it is time to whip out an exotic, satisfying meal.

Oh, I could spend hours there, listening to the recipes tripping off my honey's boss's tongue, asking translations on ever-so-many mysterious packages, and just...taking it all in. I could do without the stanky fish smell (do the other customers/employees not *smell* this? I guess not) but, it's nothing breathing in & out my mouth won't fix.

Anyhow, it was so very good to be away from the house and out on a wee adventure (including a bit of adrenaline during the drive). Made me long for more...freedom, elsewhere. Made me start thinking about vacations abroad and how we'll intersperse our lives with wild abandon in vastly different locales. Made me start thinking about a plan.

These adventures will happen in good time, I am sure. Commitment is key.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home