Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Thinking much about principles of non-harming today. Non-harming to self, yes, but also to little creatures. This comes up as I continue to create my haven outside in the garden. I don't use pesticides, am all about organic methods of pest management, organic fertilizer, composting *and* I've even begun a little worm farm. Nature's gold, baby.

BUT...we got the snails n' slugs. What's an earth mama to do? Let these critters eat everything up, or save the plants? Gawd, such a dilemma. Thus far, I've put out beer (they love the smell, dive in, drink up and go to meet their maker.) to some little success. I also have begun to use Sluggo (tm) a relatively non-toxic little pellet that will not harm any other creatures besides the slimey ones I'm combatting. Basically turns them to fertilizer.

*Sigh* This has been successful.

The irony is so not lost on my as I'm scattering Sluggo pellets around the lovely statue and plants in my Buddha garden. I've discussed this (age-old) philosophical crossroads with my friend Stephen, and of course, he sent me on a Google chase for more info. How do those more enlightened folks deal with pesky pests?

Thank goodness for the web:

Khandro.net has certain wisdom to offer.

Venerable Thubten Chodron has audio you can absorb.

Google Answers gets down and boogies with ahimsa.

The references and answers go on and on, but it can make yer haid hurt.

Long and short of it is: it depends on what you believe and how you believe it. You're dealing with your own karma here, and other creatures' lives. Many ways to go about it, and many ways to make your peace with it.

As with anything, what is "right" is all a perspective.

Any other options you might have, comment away!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home